Product Reviews

Monday, February 9, 2015

Book Review ~ The Best Advice A Tubby Turtle Can Get




Book Review Time!
The Best Advice A Tubby Turtle Can Get
by Ayala Raz

This story is adorable and very relevant to those of us who struggle with getting our kids to eat healthier. (Read that as all of us!) Toby the turtle gets a little too large for his shell; it becomes tight and uncomfortable. He gets a lot of advice from well-meaning friends and family but in the end it is a wise old turtle that has the answer Toby needs: eating sensible portions and staying more active will help Toby be comfortable in his shell.

I loved this concept. Something like this is much needed, I think, in our classrooms and on our library shelves. Stories like this will help our children make healthier choices for themselves. This story is cute and the book has delicious snack ideas in the back. I did have a large hang-up with it, however. Every second line rhymes (or is intended to rhyme) with the previous line. A very good bit of the time, these lines do not rhyme, though it is clear the author intends them to. It is a distraction for adults and confusing for children, in my opinion. I read this book to a group of children, ages 5 through ten and had to explain several times that “no, those words don’t really rhyme, they just almost rhyme”. If my group here picked up on it and was distracted enough by it to bring it up more than once, I think the target audience is going to have the same issue.

All in all, a fantastic concept that might need some minor editorial work. Still a great read for any child with eating or exercising habits that are concerning. Just be prepared to explain the jump back and forth from rhyming to not rhyming.

I received a promotional copy of this e-book in return for my honest review. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment